Design competition for a monument to President Mauno Koivisto
Exhibition of competition entries, 1 September 2021 – 28 February 2022
A design competition was arranged for erecting a monument to President Mauno Koivisto. A monument committee appointed by the Prime Minister’s Office in December 2019 was responsible for arranging the competition, and the Prime Minister’s Office will be responsible for realising the monument project.
Chaired by Prime Minister Emeritus Paavo Lipponen, the monument committee invited all Finnish artists and artists permanently residing in Finland to take part in the competition. The objective is to install the completed monument in Little Parliament Park on 25 November 2023 to mark the birth centenary of President Koivisto.
An official monument has been erected for all former Presidents of the Republic of Finland. The monuments are all located in Helsinki, and they have been donated to the City of Helsinki on completion. The President Koivisto monument competition will continue this tradition.
The closing date for competition entries was 15 April 2021. 110 approved entries were received. The outcome of the competition was announced 1 September 2021.
The awards committee
The members of the President Mauno Koivisto monument committee also served as the awards committee:
- Prime Minister Emeritus Paavo Lipponen (Chair)
- Permanent State Under-Secretary Timo Lankinen, Prime Minister’s Office (Vice-Chair)
- Professor Antti Ahlava, architect, Aalto University
- Heikki Allonen, M.Sc. (Eng.), representative of the Koivisto family
- Professor Pirjo Sanaksenaho, Aalto University
- Sami Sarvilinna, City Manager, City of Helsinki
- Maija Tanninen-Mattila, Director, HAM Helsinki Art Museum
Artist members nominated by the Artists’ Association of Finland:
- Kaarina Kaikkonen, sculptor
- Antti Tanttu, visual artist
Sanna Helopuro, Senior Adviser for Legislative Affairs, and Tiina-Kaisa Laakso-Liukkonen, Senior Specialist, from the Prime Minister’s Office served as secretaries to the awards committee. The design competition mediator was Aura Lehtonen, Competition Ombudsman at the Artists’ Association of Finland.
Link to the design competition site:
Presentation video of all competition entries
Senior Specialist, Prime Minister’s Office
+358 50 329 4283